What is LED Lighting?

LED stands for light emitting diode. Classified as solid-state lighting, LEDs use semiconductors to generate light rather than electrical filaments or gases. They are currently at the forefront of the lighting industry, offering unbeatable energy efficiency and lighting effectiveness. They outperform incandescent and fluorescent lighting and provide vast benefits in all applications. LEDs are the most efficient way to save energy, improve visual aesthetics, and conserve our natural resources without sacrificing light quality or consistency.

LED Benefits

  • Reduced Energy Consumption - Advanced LED technology provides increased light quality at drastically less power use. LEDs are generally 50-90% more efficient than standard incandescent and fluorescent lighting.
  • Increased Lighting Efficiency - With traditional incandescent and fluorescent lights, typically 40-50% of the total light output is lost or absorbed before exiting the fixture. LEDs emit light in a specific direction, ensuring maximum illumination for the intended area at equal to or greater brightness.
  • Enhanced Durability - Because LEDs do not utilize fragile glass casings, delicate filaments, or dangerous gases, they are exceptionally rugged. They are known for their ability to function at peak efficiency while being extremely resistant to heat, cold, and shock.
  • Massive Lifespan - A typical LED lamp can last longer than 50,000 hours. Compared to approximately 1,000 hours for a standard incandescent bulb or 8,000 hours for a fluorescent bulb. This greatly reduces maintenance costs and the need for regular bulb replacement and is especially beneficial for inaccessible areas.
  • Adaptability - LED solutions are available in a vast array of design options including all lamp shapes and sizes. They are compatible with most dimmers and motion-sensors. Beam angle and color temperature are variable options providing a perfect and custom fit for any lighting application.
  • Reduced Heat - LEDs emit only a small amount of heat compared to its contemporaries. An incandescent bulb is only able to transform 20% of its required electricity into light, the other 80% is dispersed as heat. Conversely, LEDs convert 80% of their energy into light, and only 20% into heat. Greatly reduced heat build-up benefits AC units, translating to added energy savings and cost effectiveness. Additionally, reduced heat means a more comfortable environment during warm-weather months.
  • Safer Light - LEDs do not produce any ultraviolet radiation which can cause fabric and color fading. They do not contain any hazardous materials allowing for safe disposal and recycling. Additionally, there is no buzzing or flickering commonly associated with fluorescent technology.
  • Green Technology - LED technology is currently the focus of the sustainable lighting movement by offering maximum lighting efficiency and effectiveness without harmful byproducts associated with other solutions. They do not contain any toxic materials and emit an extremely low amount of carbon dioxide. Converting to LED lighting can greatly reduce your carbon footprint, wastage, and overall energy consumption.